Thursday, January 9, 2014

Chassis support preparations



In previous post I wrote that no deflection was noted when measuring “O” and “P”. That was incorrect. Once the rear was jacked up deflection in “C” and “D” increased about 2 mm. In my notes I had written that “it was difficult to do measure “O” and “P” accurately (alone with measure tape…)”. So in the future let’s just concentrate on “C” to “F”. Also slightly loose roll bar bolts could play a role here. Oh well, I must tighten the bolts for next round.


Here is a photo from miataturbo.net (http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/some-seam-weld-photos-59541/page2/#post761185) forum. There is a great thread about race prepping the chassis. I draw my supports in black. Number one connects floor to the sill and side frame, and number 2 connects fire wall. I am not going to take the dashboard out to make things easier…and harder.


So far I have made models from 1 mm thick aluminium sheet that I found from scrap bin. That is why there are odd holes. The idea is to make the final support (support 1) from 3 mm thick steel and weld it in. I’ll also add a traditional triangular steel sheet (support 2) to the corner.

No comments: